Facebook’s first ever drop in daily users prompts Meta shares to fall
- Facebook shares fell by 25% yesterday following a report of a drop in daily users.
- Daily active users on the platforms fell by approximately 1 million, for the first time in 18 years.
- The drop in users is thought to be due to competition from social media apps like TikTok.
- You can read the full story through the Guardian.
Record number of children referred for specialist care
- Around 409,347 under-18s were referred to NHS specialist care for serious mental health problems including self-harm and eating disorders.
- That is 77% higher than between April and October in 2019.
- There were 349,449 children in touch with NHS child and adolescent psychiatric teams at the end of October 2021, which is the highest on record.
- You can read the full story through the BBC.
Warning over gaps in support for child victims of domestic abuse
- Early intervention experts are calling for improvements in support for young survivors of domestic abuse amid a rise in related child protection referrals.
- Figures by the NSPCC shows that protection referrals have risen by 8% over the last year.
- Jo Casebourne, from the Early Intervention Foundation (EIF), claims that figures highlight the need for support for families, especially to tackle long-term problems.
- You can read the full story through Children & Young People Now.
NI head teachers facing ‘chaos’ amid COVID-19 battle and budget cuts
- The leader of the association for head teachers in Northern Ireland has highlighted the chaos being faced by teachers amid COVID-19 and financial struggles.
- He reports that staff are struggling with “chest pain and freezing pupils and staff” as they struggle to cope.
- Budget cuts pre-COVID have significantly reduced provision of support services.
- You can read the full story through the Belfast Telegraph.