TikTok becoming most popular news source for younger users
- Research from the Reuters Institute and the University of Oxford has found an increasing proportion of TikTok’s users are turning to the platform for news content.
- 15% of users between the age of 15 and 24 go to the platform for their daily news.
- Concerningly, 36% of TikTok users said they get their news from influencers, this is higher than those who get their news from Twitter at 18% and Facebook at 14%.
- This leaves young people at risk of being exposed to misinformation and fake news.
- For more, go to the Digital Information World’s website.
97% of NI working parents worry about money and 70% cutting back on heating
- Research from Action for Children found around 70% of working parents in Northern Ireland have cut back on their heating this year in an attempt to save money.
- Around 40% of parents have said they worry about disappointing their children this year.
- 97% have worried about money in the past six months, and nearly half have said they have trouble sleeping, resulting in declining mental health.
- One mother who was surveyed said she used candles for light and for warmth.
- For more, go to the Belfast Telegraph’s website.
Antibiotics deliveries to NI being sped up
- Deliveries of antibiotics for the treatment of Strep A infection are being accelerated in Northern Ireland in the coming days.
- This will aid antibiotics reaching wholesalers and pharmacies, following a surge in demand.
- The Department of Health say that supplies are available, but distribution was the issue.
- As of Thursday 8th December, 15 children from the UK have died after invasive Strep A infections.
- To find out more, go to the BBC’s website.