Record amount of online child abuse blocked
- The Internet Watch Foundation (IWF) has said that more online child sexual abuse is being blocked by tech firms than ever before.
- It has said that its current watch list of URLs containing abuse images stands at 24,649, nearly double what it was in 2021.
- The IWF has said it showed that the new online safety bill cannot be delayed any longer.
- To read more, go to the Independent’s website.
Northern Ireland paramilitaries ‘coercing and sexually exploiting young people’
- Northern Ireland’s Children’s Commissioner has described both loyalist and dissident republican paramilitaries using young people “to do their dirty work” including drug dealing and civil disobedience.
- The Westminster committee heard that paramilitary groups are subjecting young people to coercion, threats and sexual exploitation.
- The Children’s Commissioner also criticised efforts by the government to address the issues and said police need to do more work to gain confidence with young people from deprived backgrounds.
- The overarching factors of poverty and inequality in the education system were also highlighted.
- For more on this, go to the ITV website
NI Education Authority facing risk over £300m deficit
- The Education Authority (EA) is facing a “serious degree” of financial risk and a rising budget deficit of £300 million.
- Inflation, pay pressures and rising energy costs were cited as some of the main factors impacting their budget.
- In August, the EA has estimated facing a financial gap of £200 million in 2022/23 but this estimate has now risen.
- To find out more, go to the BBC’s website.