How parents’ internet addiction can fuel their childrens’
- A recent study at Bournemouth University found that parental behaviours may be a major influence in teenager’s technology addictions.
- A questionnaire revealed that the more addicted the parents were to technology, the stronger their child’s compulsions were to show similar behaviours.
- This study suggests that setting an example is a powerful form of parenting.
- For more on this study, go to The Conversation website.
YouTube makes profits off hate speech, claims new report
- An investigation by a company called Bot Sentinel found nearly 24 channels which violated YouTube policies but were still allowed to post.
- In an interview with Rolling Stone, the company said they were shocked to see the app ‘spruced up’ with hate, racism and misogyny.
- They suggested that YouTube profits from the ads on this type of content due to huge numbers of engagement, and therefore have not taken further action.
- For more on this report, go to the Digital Information World website.
School girl assaulted by classmate loses bid to have him expelled
- A teenage girl seriously injured in an assault by another pupil has lost a High Court battle to have him expelled from their school.
- The girl suffered a dislocated knee and needed emergency surgery after being assaulted by a side tackle type attack, which was filmed by other pupils. This may have been exacerbated by a pre-existing medical condition.
- The judge ruled that whilst the attack was “callous and malicious”, it was not for the court to manage discipline in schools.
- For more on this story, please go to the Belfast Telegraph website.