TikTok’s launching Twitch-like subscriptions in beta
- TikTok has announced a program which lets viewers pay to subscribe to specific live streamers they want to support.
- Live subscription will give fans access to perks like subscriber-only chat, creator-specific emotes and badges.
- This will launch in beta on May 26th according to an announcement video from the TikTok live creator page.
- You can read the full story on the Verge’s website.
UK watchdog fines facial recognition firm over £7.5m
- The UK’s data watchdog has fined a facial recognition company (Clearview AI) £7.5 million.
- The company was fined for collecting images of people from social media platforms and the web to add to a global database.
- Clearview AI was also ordered to delete the data of UK residents from its systems.
- The company had collected more than 20 billion images of people’s faces.
- You can read the full story on the Guardian’s website.
Text scam claiming to be from NHS circulating
- Police are warning people about a circulating COVID-19 text messaging scam.
- The message claims to be from the NHS and tells recipients they have been a close contact of a positive case.
- They are then advised to click a link and book a test, which takes the user to a website where they must pay for the test.
- This comes despite the NHS never asking people to pay for COVID-19 tests or asking for bank details.
- You can read the full story on the BBC’s website.
Northern Ireland gets its own ‘TikTok’ House
- The first TikTok house called the VAVA club will be launched in NI next month as two firms collaborate.
- The house will allow TikTok stars to live together for one week while they film content for their accounts using the home as a backdrop.
- The concept was seen recently in the ‘Hype House’ in California.
- You can read the full story on the Belfast Telegraph’s website.