Study finds 3 in 10 girls under 18 have eating disorder
- A large-scale research project covering more than 63,000 participants across the globe, including the UK, investigated the prevalence of eating disorders.
- It found that three in 10 girls under the age of 18 suffer from an eating disorder.
- It also found that one in six boys face an eating disorder and 22% of children suffer from conditions such as anorexia, bulimia and other extreme dieting behaviour.
- The author of the study stated that identifying the scope of eating disorders is vital for planning and carrying out actions that prevent, detect and deal with them.
- For more on this story, please visit the Yahoo News website.
Teaching staff and healthcare workers on picket lines in Northern Ireland
- Four teaching unions are taking part in a half-day strike in a pay dispute in Northern Ireland.
- Teachers, nurses, ambulance and hospital staff will also be on strike with most schools across Northern Ireland expected to close until midday today.
- The Department of Education has issued guidance to help principals assess and prepare for strike action.
- There are four teaching unions involved including the National Association of Schoolmasters and Union of Women Teachers (NASUWT), who are calling for a 12% increase in salaries.
- To read the full story, please visit the BBC’s website.
15-year-old ‘attacks PSNI with axe’ following arson
- A 15-year-old boy has been charged following an incident of setting a bin on fire and attacking police officers with an axe.
- The boy has been charged with arson, assault on police and attempted grievous bodily harm with intent.
- DUP Councillor Alan Lewis has said that “stronger deterrents against crimes like this” are needed.
- The boy is due to appear in Court today.
- For more on this story, please visit the Belfast Telegraph’s website.