Child sexual abuse victims waiting longer for help, report finds
- Many child sexual abuse victims in the UK wait at least six months for therapy, advice and counselling, according to a Centre of expertise on child sexual abuse (CSA Centre) report.
- Service providers say waiting times are due to providers struggling to keep up with increasing demand.
- While acknowledging that more needs to be done, the government is increasing funding for support services to ensure all victims can access support quickly.
- For more, please visit the BBC News website.
ICO publishes updated Commissioner’s Opinion on age assurance for the Children’s code
- The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) has updated its age assurance Opinion, which outlines what online services must do to comply with the Children’s Code.
- The updated Opinion considers technological developments and how organisations can comply with the Online Safety Act 2023.
- Age assurance is necessary to protect children online and the ICO is committed to working with businesses to ensure they are complying with the law.
- For more, please visit the ICO website.
Iowa sues TikTok for misleading parents over child protections
- Iowa is suing TikTok for allegedly misleading parents about children’s access to harmful content on their platform.
- The lawsuit seeks financial penalties and an order requiring TikTok to stop deceptive practices.
- This lawsuit is one of several against TikTok, with other states also raising concerns about the app’s potential harms to young users.
- For more, please visit the Yahoo News website.
Mum of Belfast boy with special needs on ‘mental torture’ of eight days of school strikes
- A mother of a child with severe learning difficulties has said that eight days off school for her child amounts to “mental torture.”
- She reported that parents of children with special needs are preached that routine is key, but her son became upset after this routine was disrupted from strike action.
- She has expressed her dismay that despite calls to exclude special needs schools from strike action, that this was not done.
- For more, please visit the Belfast Live website.